Wednesday, August 29, 2007

why i want to be Kathleen Kelly

an excerpt from my paper (Kyrie's) for mom
It was weekly event, when I was a small child, for my mother to drive my two sisters and me to the neighborhood library so we could pick out and bring home any books we chose. I remember scavenging the book shelves in the children’s section finding the ones with the best pictures when I was younger and then exciting chapter books once I could read. Being able to read gave me the same freedom that a driver’s license gives a sixteen year old. I don’t ever remember the library being a boring place. My mother’s animated reading voice still rings in my ears and when I hear her reading to some lucky three year old that visits my home I still feel comforted and silently thrilled. That sound is sweet to my ears. Her voice took me to other worlds and gave me exciting ideas about life. The swirling illustrations in some of those crinkly, plastic-covered library books still remain in my mind as if they had moved when my eager eyes had poured over them all those years ago. I don’t know how she did it. Looking back it was almost magic. Although my mother never actually purchased all those books for me, only a library card, those stacks of beaten books were and remain a precious gift. She imbedded in me a deep love for books. Though I’ve graduated from My Father’s Dragon and The Indian in the Cupboard, these books remain a deep part of my identity and inspired me to see what other fascinating people I can meet on the page. As I grow and discover the un-magical aspects of life I can still find comfort in reading a used, library-scented, yellow-paged copy of some classic novel during some uneventful car ride or weekday afternoon or the newest installment of the Harry Potter series in the dead of night. And anytime a four-year-old and a copy of Dr. Suess are in the same room with me I’ll pull them both onto my lap and see what kind of magic I can produce.

14 comments:

kate said...

o.k., o.k., I'm crying-break my heart why dontcha! gotta get back on that zolof--thank you for your gift of words. xomom

Sienna said...

i love that you're my sister. and that your room is two doors down from mine so i can go snag that paper and read the rest.
-sienna

linnea said...

my kyrie,

beautiful! this was a pleasure to read . . because i need to hear creative sensible things like this when i am deprived of girlfriends!!

love you...love this post too!!

Damien said...

The love of learning,
The sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.

-Longfellow

annie said...

well, gosh, that made me happy, kyrie, and that made me happy too, mr. damien!

Anonymous said...

MMM! The snuggly afternoons I had with four munchkins and 235 books just gotten from the library! Library day was the best I enjoyed the kiddie books probably more than the kiddies!

kate said...

remember I would always say, "no, too many words" when you kids would say "how bout this one?"...and if the words on each page were fairly brief and the pictures great-well, then we had a find ---and if there was a lot of rhyming going on-that was even better!!

Anonymous said...

kyr, pleASe tell me you titled this paper "why i want to be kathleen kelly"

because THAT would be so cute!!


okay, and i keep thinking about you howards as i read harry potter. . . .the same way I think of YOU when i watch you've got mail............for some reason while i'm reading (potter) i like can almost feel you guys reading it beside me! weird but cool feeling, i guess i can just see how you'd love them!

okay....love you!


-linnea ruth

D. Fresh said...

kyriekyrie. this is incredible storytelling, you know, when your reader's shocked and disappointed to find himself at the end of the post, yet also satisfied because it was so tastefully done.
very nice.

kate said...

hi Dan, kyrie, with that rather serious exterior will surprise us here and there with her emotions--enjoyed your comment

Anonymous said...

That was an incredible entry, and should be required reading for every elementary education major across the nation. It should also be handed out by every teacher during the first month of school, from pre-school all the way through 5th grade. You Rock, Sienna! And so does your mom.

Anonymous said...

Actually, Sienna, you do Rock, but in this case it's Kyrie who should have gotten the accolades for this particular essay...That's what I get for posting my comment before I read everybody else's

Sienna said...

yep! this ones all kyrie...

Anonymous said...

Some friends took me to a new bookstore downtown last night. I went to the kids section and thought of you. :o) It's a lovely place, I should take you there.