Tuesday, November 22, 2005

november's tuesday

kyrie here.

today was a lot of running around( and around and around) for me. to the point where i started to get that independent feeling. not so much good, just there. i started the day at hannah's in salisbury and drove home early early this morning to be on time for school. i listened to Dido the whole way home and the rain was pouring from the grey sky and i was all by myself and quite sleepy. needless to say, my mood was quite melancholy by the time i pulled up in the parking lot. Her voice music makes me feel like i'm in a dramatic movie.
gym today came early. usually we all pile into the bus and head to the YMCA around 1:25 on tuesdays and thursdays. today we left at 10:00. i don't know which i like better. morning is such a sensative time to me. i like to ease very slowly into my day, taking care not to rush anything or expose myself to anything loud. so running up and down in a very echo-y gymnasium, shouting for people to pass me the ball and running so i was out of breath was a very new experience. and i drew the conclusion that i am desperately out of shape. all these times of playing volleyball has been very decieving. chalice pointed out "in volleyball, you just stand there. and you like move left or right but you don't run". how true that is!
at the end of the practice mr. steve left us with some drill to do. to occupy us or something. i don't know. you've never seen any girls more confused in your life. it was such a simple drill. passing, lay up and then switch lines. we were running around and missing the ball and passing to the wrong person and yelling and everybody was trying to make sense of what was going on. the more frusterated people got, the more i smiled. note to mr.steve: never leave us again.

the day continued on like any other school day. complete with studying so fast and hard that i didn't retain anything and had to leave quite a few blanks blank on my spanish quiz. 20 new spanish words in one day makes me feel unhopeful.
after school came work at the salon until 6:30. and joy! i got my hair colored again. that really is a joy. i am not being sarcastic. when people play with my hair and do stuff with it it makes me so happy and relaxed. my mood automatically lifts 10 levels.
but i am always happy to be free of that place when the time comes. one's own time is so much more precious when one has a job. i'm working and working and working and not accomplishing anything in my own life. When i get home and i can write my letters and read my books and clean my room and do my stuff that i love to do and accomplish things i care about. but i am very appriciative of my work. i'm glad of the job i have and am very blessed with it. Good people to work with and am always kept very busy which i love. i don't think i could have a job where nothing much was required of me. being busy makes time fly.

evening came and with it a wonderful dinner at the salvatores. steak, asparagus and potatoes. i could eat potatoes until the end of time if there was a steady supply of them and butter nearby.
i don't even think a fork is all that necessary.

bed time now! i love bed time! how could i have not liked it when i was little? always avoiding it and denying i was tired. i am tired and i do want to go to bed so very much.
so i will. posted by kyrie

3 comments:

Brae Howard said...

kyrie, one thing i will miss dearly about china is the salons here. they are everywhere, and you can get your hair washed aND a massage for a dollar. their hairwashing method is so unique. you sit in the salon chair and they very neatly work up a lather in your hair by applying a mixture of shampoo and water from a bottle. they massage your scalp in a circular motion and get wider and wider until your hair is all lathered up. they they do the massage and press all your pressure points and do strange snappy things with their fingers on your head. they rinse out the shampoo somehow without going to the sink yet, and repeat the later once more or 3 times!.then you lay down in the sink and they wash it out. and they support your head so wonderfully! your head rests on a platform, and sometime they lift up your head and massage your neck, which sounds a little awkward. but they're sooo nOT awkward.
then they blow dry your hair strAIGHt and put it back however you had it when you came in. this sweet boy who washed my hair once put my hair back in a ponytail and put my clip back in. so sweet. you must experience this one day.
the sad thing is, no one on my team enjoys it as much as me. and my chinese students think it's too extravagant (it cost $1.20!!!!)

grey rose (they/them) said...

who cares about forks? i know SOME people who eat potatoes without forks---or butter!

linnea said...

Kyrie- Thanks for sharing your day. I know what you mean about playing with hair, it's one of the best feelings in the WORLD.

BraeBrae- The Chinese salon experience sounds wonderful.It's neat to find out what material value different countries put on different things. Like, a wonderful salon experience is very inexpensive there- -but pricy here! But other things are vice versa. Neato!