Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I like Joni Mitchell.


In class today my english professor, Foreman, played us a song. It was written by Joni Mitchell but sung by Tom Rush and it was incredibly beatiful to my ear. When I got back to my room I was still thinking about it so I downloaded it from itunes. Read the lyrics. They're beautiful. Maybe it's the voice, music, and words together that make it beautiful but read them anyway and then find the song and listen to it. Listen to the version by Tom Rush if you can. His voice is so rugged. It's really nice. (If you email me, aubrensienna@gmail.com, I'll send you the song and Joni's version as well.) Here's just bits of it...


I had a love in summertime with summer-colored skin
And not another one in town my darling's heart could win
But when the sky turned traitor cold
And bully winds did rub their noses in the snow

She got the urge for going and I had to let her go
And she got the urge for going when the meadow grass was turning brown
Summertime was falling down and winter's moving in

I'll ply the fire with kindling and pull the blankets to my chin
I'll lock the vagrant winter out and bolt my wandering in
I'd like to call back summertime
And ask her just to stay another month or so

But she got the urge for going
I guess she'll have to go
And she got the urge for going when the meadow grass was turning brown
Summertime is falling down and winter's moving in
And she got the urge for going when the meadow grass was turning brown
All my empires are fallen down and winter's moving in

5 comments:

natalie said...

oh, that's a wonder of a song, i'm so glad you like it.

kyrieanna said...

annie you crack me up.

Sienna said...

yeha i know it's but you're one of the only few who actually know that...

the classroom picture is just a nice affect..i never said it was foreman.

funke said...

What did Dr. Davis do when you took the picture? Or did you use the "no flash" stealth method?

I'd recommend sending the picture in to promotional offices. It's a nice one.

funke said...

Well....except for the fact that one student looks as if she is yawning. Maybe it's not good promo material after all.