Friday, February 09, 2007

hear God

From Blaise Pascal's "Thoughts"....
"What a chimera, then, is man! What a noveltly! What a monster, what a chaos, what a contradiction, what a prodigy! Judge of all things, imbecile worm on the earth; despositary of truth, a sink of uncertainty and error; the pride and refuse of the universe!

Know then, proud man, what paradox you are to yourself. Humble yourself, weak reason; be silent, foolish nature; learn that man infinitely transcends man, and learn from your Master your true condition, of which you are ignorant. HEAR God." (capitals added by sienna.)





We read this in my "Culteral Heritage of the West" class this morning which has come to be my favorite class I think. When we read and discussed Pascal's words I was reminded of how complex and confused we really are and how we're really just like clay. We don't like that so much though. We want to mold ourselves and everything around us. We want to make our own truths and follow our own laws. But that won't work. God's laws are truth and he is the potter. I am the clay. I just have to keep telling myself that he's a better artist than me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like Pascal a lot. =)

Damien said...

this is a great post all around. pascal nails it, and so do you.

faith said...

Have I ever said how much I love Blaise Pascal and want to name a child after him?!? He is so smart. Great post.